Web-based training focuses on the fundamentals and advanced concepts of process heating. Students can take the course at home or at work in a flexible Internet-based format. The instructor-led, interactive online courses focus on fundamentals and advanced concepts of heat processing.
Offered by Industrial Heating Equipment Association in conjunction with the Emerging Technology Applications Center at Northampton Community College, two courses are offered. Registration is now open, and the courses will begin online on January 24, 2011.
"Fundamentals of Process Heating" will give students who successfully complete the course the ability to:
- Understand how materials are heated in industrial applications.
- Perform heat balance and thermal efficiency calculations.
- Develop an understanding of the basic principles of heat transfer.
- Develop an understanding of furnace and oven design and operation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the types of ovens, furnaces and kilns.
- Develop an understanding of the types and operation of refractories and insulation.
- Determine the energy savings associated with the use of recuperators and regenerators.
- Develop an understanding of the instrumentation and controls used in process heating equipment.
- Discuss the types of gas atmospheres used in process heating and the equipment used.
- Describe the mechanisms, metallurgical aspects, testing and evaluation associated with quenching.
- Develop an understanding of vacuum heat processing.