Offered by Industrial Heating Equipment Association in conjunction with the Emerging Technology Applications Center at Northampton Community College, two courses are offered.
"Fundamentals of Process Heating" will give students who successfully complete the course the ability to:
- Understand how materials are heated in industrial
- Perform heat balance and thermal efficiency calculations.
- Develop an understanding of the basic principles of heat transfer.
- Develop an understanding of furnace and oven design and operation
- Demonstrate knowledge of the types of ovens, furnaces and kilns.
- Develop an understanding of the types and operation of
refractories and insulation.
- Determine the energy savings associated with the use of
recuperators and regenerators.
- Develop an understanding of the instrumentation and controls used
in process heating equipment.
- Discuss the types of gas atmospheres used in process heating and
the equipment used.
- Describe the mechanisms, metallurgical aspects, testing and
evaluation associated with quenching.
- Develop an understanding of vacuum heat processing