- Enclose both the front and rear
of the boiler area and use an external heat source to minimize freezing
- Install heat tracing with insulation to
protect exposed stagnant water lines.
- Use an appropriate heat tracing method
(electric or steam tracing) to all your main lines and piping components. In
freezing temperatures, the following lines should be heat-traced even if the
boiler is not in operation: sensing lines (steam drum to CMR, high steam and
steam gauge); auxiliary low water cut-off; water column; and level-control
blowdown. Depending on the length of piping runs, the main and continuous
blowdown should also be heat traced.
- Drain the lines and fill them with a 50/50
water/glycol solution, making sure to reconnect the lines.
- Completely drain the boiler and stagnant water lines when extended boiler downtime is expected.